Wednesday 20th April 1859

With the return of the "Eliza Anderson", the remaining cargo is shifted off the "Thames City".

20th Wednesday – The steamer “Eliza Anderson” came along side about 2 p.m.: we immediately set to work getting the cargo shifted into her. Luard  tumbled down the hatchway.  I took a boat manned with our own men, and went off at once to the “Pylades” and brought off the Surgeon: he was cut about the head a good deal, but not seriously hurt.

I gave the “Bill of Lading” for the tent etc. belonging to Ogilvie to Messer Dickson and Hamley and also had a note left for him at the Post Office in Victoria authorizing them to delivering it to him.

I lunched at the Governor Douglas, gave him the letter of introduction that Mr. Morris gave me.  I afterwards went with Cooper and St. John of the Marines and called upon the Works about a mile and a half out of Victoria.  I then rode back to Esquimalt.

I dined with St. John on board the “Brisbane” every one was very civil and kind: Their band played in the evening on the main deck.

--From the Journal of Lt. Lempriere, RE,
on board the Thames City in Esquimalt harbour.

{Note: The "Brisbane"  and the "Pylades" are the HMS Brisbane and HMS Pylades, part of the Pacific Squadron at Esquimalt.

 Cooper and St. John are both Royal Marine Light Infantry Officers who volunteered for Special Service in British Columbia.  At present they are stationed at Victoria.

Luard will remain in Victoria until the 26th of April while his wounds heal.}

The Royal Marine party continues its survey.

"... I devoted my third day (20th) to endeavoring to find out the nearest and most direct point from the latter to Queenborough and by returning about a mile and a quarter down the river Brunette from the Lake, I entered the valley and found it lead over a perfectly level and nearly cleared Country direct to the termination of the Southernmost branch of the inlet the distance from River to the latter being about two and a half miles and I compute the distance that exists between that part of the river and Queenborough to be about three miles in a direct line this would make the nearest point of the Inlet five and a half miles from Queenborough..."

--25 April, 1859,
report from Lt. Blake, RMA to Col. Moody